· Balance your hormones
· Increase milk supply · Combat Fatigue
· Increase your energy
· Recover more quickly from childbirth
· Replenish what was lost during childbirth
· Bring the body back into balance
· Prevent and treat the “baby blues”
· Shorten postnatal bleeding time
· Increase postnatal iron levels
Studies show that placenta is rich in nutrients, high in iron, protein, vitamins and minerals, and your own natural hormones. Those hormones are perfectly made by you, for you. Experts agree that the placenta retains hormones, and thus reintroducing them to your system may ease hormonal fluctuations in the postpartum period.
The placenta is an endocrine organ, meaning that it produces hormones. The placenta produces hormones beginning around 6 weeks gestation and increases production through the third trimester of pregnancy. By the end of the third trimester a woman’s hormone levels at three times her non-pregnant self. Then, in contrast, by day 4 or 5 postpartum a mother’s hormone levels drop below normal levels. This is a dramatic shift to happen with a matter of days and this is why so many women experience “the baby blues,” in those first few weeks. Amazingly the placenta produces many hormones that are still contained within after birth that aide with postpartum healing and balance:
• Prolactin: promotes lactation
• Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; also known as the “love” hormone
• Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infection
• Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: boosts energy and helps recover from stressful events
• Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks stores of energy
• Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia
• Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
• Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
I offer placenta encapsulation as an add on service for my doula clients and to those who only need help with encapsulation. I take your placenta home from your birthing location and use the Traditional Chinese Medicine method of steaming, drying, and grinding your placenta before encapsulation. I can do this in either your home or mine depending on your preference. I typically am able to return the pills to you within 48 hours of receiving your placenta. I can also include placenta prints and a keepsake bag for your umbilical cord which is dried and preserved.
My standard fee for encapsulation is $95 and is offered at a reduced rate for doula clients. I do believe that placenta medicine should be available to all women so please inquire if you cannot afford my standard rate. I am also happy to teach people how to encapsulate on their own because this tradition belongs to all women.